TrackNation

Select a Forum

Forum Home > College Track > Week one of the 2016-17 season

[email protected]

I hope so WE one would think with Coleman's sub 46 ability on the 4x4 he would have plenty of SE left over in the tank but it does not seem to be the case.

August 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

[email protected] at August 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM

Speed when it comes to Coleman would you recommend more SE style workouts using 300s 500s or something significant ly less???

For me I won't run 500's, that's too long, Coleman is a short sprinter. For me it doesn't appear it's an issue of fatigue, conditioning, for all we know, he could be doing all the work in training necessary, to be able to finish, or the work that has been done, again not able to get the same results on the senior level.

In looking at Coleman's running style, technique, sprint mechanics, all of this has to be taken into account. Coleman obviously is short, smallish type sprinter, so he is working with the tools he has. I would focus on what he is doing upon reaching maxV, really focus on his mechanics, technique. What we have seen at the senior level when he is pressed. I just watched in slow motion head on Coleman's carry in the 4x100. From when he got the stick, until he finished. A few things going on, he has bad shoulder and hip rotation, on each foot strike, his anke rocker is very poor, both feet go out from the ankle, back to the heel, this impacts his toeoff, support leg, his triple extension, his force application into the ground. He is spending more time on the ground than he should, this shorten's his knee lift and as such his kickout on his frontside touch down.

Now if you're spending more time than you should with your foot on the track in particular in deceleration, you will be braking more and decelerating at a faster rate and of course if the competition is doing a better job of braking less, decelerating at a slower rate, these two combinations spell disaster for Coleman with respect not being able to close at the senior level, where again the quality and speed in better than on the college level as a whole.

--

For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain Phil. 1:21

August 14, 2017 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

[email protected] at August 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM

I hope so WE one would think with Coleman's sub 46 ability on the 4x4 he would have plenty of SE left over in the tank but it does not seem to be the case.

I'm assured that you know the significant differences between structured speed and special (specific breadth) endurance work.   As well as the effects they have with overall skeletal (apart from cardiac) muscle.

And how are they necessary to benefit controlled deceleration at maximal and/or supermaximal speeds?

--

August 14, 2017 at 1:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Unfortunately WE I'm clueless that is why I'm asking questions from ppl like you and Speed.
August 14, 2017 at 4:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

[email protected] at August 14, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Unfortunately WE I'm clueless that is why I'm asking questions from ppl like you and Speed.

Dwight, I understand.   The more convenient, and perhaps less detailed, is to solve latent short dash issues with long sprint bouts.   However, as Speed detailed in his recent comment, the "breakdown" late in races can be associated with doing things uncommon with early sprint mechanics.

As Speedfirst described so well, Coleman's urgency to "get to that line" sacrificed good posture and efficient transport mechanics.   One thing I liked about Belcher was his ability to carry these attributes through his races.   Difference, of course, is Coleman's ability to generate larger ground forces and more complimentary air time responses.

I would also think that raising the game towards higher training responses (i.e, short segment speeds) with emphasis in efficient transport mechanism as opposed to moving far right on the velocity/time curve.   And then again, I've never been very successful with improving the sustainability of high sprinting velocities with long sprint runs!

--

August 14, 2017 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Coach W.E., I concur, long sprint runs don't work for me, too many bad things happen, then you now have more work to do, that can and does take away the time you can be using to continue to build upon the good things you have established.  

Especially if we are talking about a short sprinter, at the most he or she is running 200m in their events. So with that being the case, every stride is important, work on perfecting that, of all of what that entails. Part, part, whole is the idea . The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, having that synergy.

--

August 14, 2017 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Speed would you use 400m workouts on down?????
August 16, 2017 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Or high intensity workouts 120-150m sprints with 15-20 minute rest????
August 16, 2017 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
WE your thoughts on 2017 as a whole on sprinters who made a impact!!!!!!
August 21, 2017 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

[email protected] at August 21, 2017 at 1:54 PM

WE your thoughts on 2017 as a whole on sprinters who made a impact!!!!!!

Funny...I was asked a similar question to yours a few weeks ago. If you don't mind I'll answer in a multi-part that I did previously.

First let me say that the coaching (e.g., performance goals planning, refined event modeling, task management, et cetera) has appeared to be consistent with athletes' performances from a global perspective, IMHO. When you take away the seasonal overloads (particularly with collegiate obligations) and the over enhanced needs at the highest levels, perhaps those athletes that had major opportunities were able to pretty much come through. I think their coaches stepped up.

So essentially, those sprinters that were afforded a high quality base of operations per se, benefited well from those things mentioned above. That would include even the HBCUs that you are, rightfully so, exceedingly proud of. Perhaps in several cases, this might've been a plan with the latter over a much longer period than what 2017 had to offer in result!

IMO, Coleman, Belcher, Kerley, Stevens, for example were very good last year. And their stock has certainly risen since. Truly world class performers. What will they become going into the next few years minus the athletic campus responsibilities?

Of course, much will depend on how important things such as personal care, performance management and work discipline, for example, are taken. As well as prioritized with other human essentials!! And let's not forget the talent that is being brought to the next level from coaches like Coach Allen (Speedfirst) and his colleagues in his athletic community. The ones that are coming out now (and in abundance with national performance standards) are simply burners! It seems that there are more these days "hitting it than missing it"! And that goes for both genders by the way.

I do believe Bowie, Felix, Gatlin, and Merritt, to name a few, will be at the line as well. Given consistent personal care, and with it would seem, a more than sufficient but dedicated lifestyle, will continue to give the "young ones" fits. The push towards one-off event performances, during non-major seasons, will give the newbies all they can handle!

I hope that you received some value with my response.

August 22, 2017 at 12:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

[email protected] at August 16, 2017 at 5:18 PM

Dwight I use 450's, as workouts, 600m, for my long sprinters, I just don't use them as sprint runs. I use them for special endurance  2 work.

W.E., coach, look at the video below at around 5:28, this is exactly what is going on with many athletes and this is what Christian Coleman is experiencing. I know I can see it in my athletes, I know I posted the footage of Tyron Jones in his 55m race, which is in the gallery that you provided, in which Tyron was guilty of this. Of which that video is the 2nd one below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cxIJ0hKGkI

https://vimeo.com/157334735

--

August 22, 2017 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]

Speedfirst at August 22, 2017 at 2:13 PM

[email protected] at August 16, 2017 at 5:18 PM

Dwight I use 450's, as workouts, 600m, for my long sprinters, I just don't use them as sprint runs. I use them for special endurance  2 work.

W.E., coach, look at the video below at around 5:28, this is exactly what is going on with many athletes and this is what Christian Coleman is experiencing. I know I can see it in my athletes, I know I posted the footage of Tyron Jones in his 55m race, which is in the gallery that you provided, in which Tyron was guilty of this. Of which that video is the 2nd one below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cxIJ0hKGkI

https://vimeo.com/157334735

Speed what is the problem????

August 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Speedfirst - the video referenced certainly supports the issue discussed.   Unfortunately, as the case here is made, the circulatory system (where endurance is most associated with) is not the immediate solution.   Specifically, low-to-medium leverage work (3's-4's-5's and on) that perhaps play mostly on the by-products of skeletal and cardiac tissue fatigue.

I've never bought into the idea that solving a problem, occurring at maximal velocities and efforts, is best treated with bouts of sub-maximal work.   Remembering that these issues, as a function of not only bio-chemical fatigue, but of associative mechanical weaknesses as well.

Real-time concepts, that takes one to at near maximal to super-maximal organic processes (similar to actual performance levels) generally results with smoother transition and consistency.   However, due to the complexity of each athletes' human makeup, differences in approach are often commonplace.   Though I haven't experienced where sub-maximal session work solves for those issues that arrive during maximal speed events.

--

August 24, 2017 at 10:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Thanks WE for your response to my question can hardly wait until the indoor season starts.
August 31, 2017 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Speedfirst quoted:"...The female I was very impressed and I see as a future star, was the teenager, the 19 year old who took the silver, very impressive 400m the whole rounds and finals by her."

After watching Ms. Naser's race in Brussels, I'm in complete agreement with you there.   IMHO, the most efficient of all the quartermilers in most every way that matters.    The sprint mechanics, FS&BS rotations, race model, et cetera.

A direct contrast to Okolo whom I've overestimated - at least to this point.  Really stiff and I believe requires greater fundamental short speed qualities to clip consistent sub-50s going forward.

--

September 4, 2017 at 3:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
I will see you kind folks when the indoor season starts.What about Hayes I was sorely disappointed in her not making the 400 finals.
September 5, 2017 at 7:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

[email protected] at September 5, 2017 at 7:30 AM

I will see you kind folks when the indoor season starts.What about Hayes I was sorely disappointed in her not making the 400 finals.

IMO, Hayes is similar to Okolo when you compare certain support attributes in the 400.   Athletes such as Miller-Uibo, Felix and Naser have that low to sub-22 SE ability and can apply that towards sufficient speed reserve in the primary event.

--

September 5, 2017 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
I would like to see Hayes work on her 200 speed.
September 10, 2017 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
David Oliver has signed on to become the new director of the track program at his alma-mater of Howard University!!!!!!
September 13, 2017 at 2:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
The indoor season will be starting soon according to a close friend.Counting down the days!!!!!
September 30, 2017 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Blog Entries

by Speedfirst | 0 comments
Page_white_text TRY
by Speedfirst | 0 comments
by Speedfirst | 1 comment

Recent Videos

369 views - 0 comments
343 views - 0 comments
825 views - 0 comments
790 views - 2 comments

Recent Prayer Requests

• Prayers requested

I am requesting prayers for my mother, she isn?t do well right now, some liver issues, God?s will, will be done, thank y?all. Love you family!!
  • Loss Of Grandmother

My grandmother passed into Eternity on Friday, 12/02/2011. I'm requesting prayer on behalf of my family and myself. While I'm sad at my grandmother's passing, I celebrate her ...