TrackNation

Select a Forum

Forum Home > High School Track > 2017 Indoor and Outdoor season

Speedfirst
Site Owner

We finally opened up our season this past Friday, ran a quad meet, God blessed us to once again be the victor. We won on both levels as usual, the varsity level by 65 points and the frosh/soph level by 85 points. That meet is water under the bridge, in our rear view mirror, behind us.

We don't compete this week, so it's back to the drawing board in preparation for the next meet, one day, one meet at a time!!

--

For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain Phil. 1:21

February 7, 2017 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Woo! It's here. Glad to hear the good news, Speedfirst. 

1st practice meet coming the 15th...

--

"You there on the motorbike...sell me one of your melons!"

February 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at February 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM

Woo! It's here. Glad to hear the good news, Speedfirst. 

1st practice meet coming the 15th...

Scott, how is Brianna looking?

--

February 14, 2017 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Well, all of her measurables in the off-season are improved...but still hard to know until the gun goes off. I think more will be known after this evening. Her coach has her in two 400 relays (the sprint medley and the 4x4) and no other distances...so I'll have to rely on splits and more of a visual. 

I will keep you posted! I used many (most) of your and WE's advice this off-season. I think it went well. 

--

February 15, 2017 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at February 15, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Well, all of her measurables in the off-season are improved...but still hard to know until the gun goes off. I think more will be known after this evening. Her coach has her in two 400 relays (the sprint medley and the 4x4) and no other distances...so I'll have to rely on splits and more of a visual. 

I will keep you posted! I used many (most) of your and WE's advice this off-season. I think it went well. 

Looking forwward with baited breath to hear about the two relays, reminds me of my high school days, at some relay meets, I ran (3) 4x400, and/or, the 300IH, along with two 4x400.

Is she working strictly/solely with her coach now?

--

February 15, 2017 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Hey Guys, I have certainly missed "conversing" with all of you. Aside from all the "over my head" activities that I took on last year, TrackNation is my rock!

I literally took January off due to simply being run down. And then just when I started to catch up on some Rio events that I didn't see when they were happening, Nikko blew my power, cable, communications et al off the service pole!

Though God continues to bless me with another day to do good deeds, I look forward to hearing much more about Speed's team, Scott's daughter (Brianna) in the 4 and Dwight's predictions for NC's and beyond!

--

February 15, 2017 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Ugh...it was terrible...she was sluggish. Both relays...disappointing. 

Yes, once the Spring Semester starts I back all the way off and let the coach's program take over. 

Not sure what to make of her today. We talked about it...she's got 10 days until the season opener. Speed - I put a stopwatch on just about everything in training and all of her times are better (in some cases much better) and in practice she's now always with the fast group no matter the distance, so I don't know what happened to day. We're chalking it up to pre-season rustiness and moving on.

I am glad to see the progress going on around here with Speed's teams. 

--

February 15, 2017 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Scott - Brianna will be fine. My experience with girls opening up in the 4 usually have more issues than the boys. Just saying.

I often wonder why they open up with that anyway.   Old school?

Speed reserve adaptation and stabilization requires rhythm and adherence to maximal short speed qualities. Wonder how she would've fared in a shorter carry?

--

February 15, 2017 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

WE - YES! It's an old-school guy who's a football coach, but all of his tactics seem like they come from another century! :)  So, speaking of girls...Brianna said "I wish I could get aggressive like the boys do!" So is that the issue you've found? The girls just have to get used to "game speed" and gain aggression as the season goes on?

I'm frustrated with the coach that he doesn't sharpen her up with some 100 and 200 (relay or individual) races to go with her 4x4. 

BUT! You're right, I need to relax. 

--

February 16, 2017 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Scott - I'm curious.   You mentioned, in overview, the training sessions you had with Brianna, which indicated possibly several timing clips.   What would indicate a reasonable performance (although theoretical) if you used the following:

https://www.freelapusa.com/sprint-calculator/

https://www.freelapusa.com/sprint-calculator-user-guide/

"Game Speed" might be one way to put it.   But I'm not one to have an athlete attack a truly competitive multi-layer fatiguing event without understanding and demonstrating (in-practice) the properties of controlled deceleration.   Have you read PJ Vazel's paper on Speed Reserve in the 400?

Speedfirst can't state enough about the benefits of speed development at practically any distance or duration.   IMHO, the margin of work between high intensity-low force impeding bouts to medium/low intensity-high metabolic fatiguing sessions is huge!    Though I realize several have acquired success with a narrower and/or reversed approach.

It might be that this summer some true short speed work combined with reasonable comp could be a possible jump start for her senior year.   In addition to battery recharging and filling reserve capacity, knowing what you can do there has its' advantages.   Just a thought.

--

February 16, 2017 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

My frustration is once the Fall practice season begins, I only have Brianna once a week on Saturdays to do what I call a "catch-all" hitting things they didn't do that week. Once the January semester begins, I'm completely hands-off because I don't want to interfere with the coach's program. My frustration is that I don't think he's 1/10th as deep as you and Speedfirst (maybe 1/100th). He casts the widest net, does very general training, and then lets the cards fall where they may. 

So...yeah...I'd love to be able to structure here iin-season sessions and even her early-season meets...but that's not my place. :)

Thanks for your response. We're in a holding pattern until Feb 25th, the first real meet. That will be a better test of where she's at. 

--

February 17, 2017 at 8:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Good discourse gentlemen, W.E. welcome back,  missed you and that is an understatement.

As W.E. said about the first meet, early season, really use that now as a barometer, chalk it up. Does Brianna to your knowledge Scott, have a race model for the open 400m and really it won't much at all in the relay, other than legs after leadoff and that is typically dictated by what position you're in. I'll wait for the respond on the race model before I continue, thanks.

--

February 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Speedfirst at February 7, 2017 at 12:45 PM

We finally opened up our season this past Friday, ran a quad meet, God blessed us to once again be the victor. We won on both levels as usual, the varsity level by 65 points and the frosh/soph level by 85 points. That meet is water under the bridge, in our rear view mirror, behind us.

We don't compete this week, so it's back to the drawing board in preparation for the next meet, one day, one meet at a time!!

Okay Speedfirst, tell me who I should look for this season on the OP-RF squad this year.   I trust you have more than a few "stone-burners" so to speak!

Were you able to work with the talented middle distance prospect (sorry I forgot his name) to implement those notions you observed last year?

--

February 17, 2017 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E.  Rino Watson is my top senior sprinter, I have some young talent as well, a senior football player, running in high school for the first time. I have implemented maximum voluntary isometric, resistance band training more heavily into my system, even on meets days, of which will take place tomorrow. The focus is recruiting more muscle fibers and activation.

The middle distance runner I continue to work with, he did finish 3rd in the state in one event and 4th in another. The plan is to have him doing much of what my long and short sprinters do, with respect to his speed and strength training is concerned.

--

February 17, 2017 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Speed - yes, in the open 400 last year she got pretty good at following her plan. That's one things we talked about from her practice meet - her management was off a bit. She ran her "float" too slow, and by doing so lost her agression and a couple of seconds which were then impossible to make up in the final 150-200.  I really do think she'll tighten things up. One can only hope. :)

--

February 17, 2017 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at February 17, 2017 at 8:36 PM

Speed - yes, in the open 400 last year she got pretty good at following her plan. That's one things we talked about from her practice meet - her management was off a bit. She ran her "float" too slow, and by doing so lost her agression and a couple of seconds which were then impossible to make up in the final 150-200.  I really do think she'll tighten things up. One can only hope. :)

How did it appear she did with her race model in the relays and what leg did she run? Of course not knowing what her coach has her doing in practice or the race model. I do know as W.E. indicated speed reserve, that will require strength and certainly there are things she can do meet day to help with that. 

Doing isometric work right before her race will help with muscle fiber recruitment, also CNS stimulation and even doing a few shot hops helps with stored energy, stretch reflex.

You see the weight/strength prior to doesn't have the effect on race day we think it does with respect to muscle fibers, dynamic stretching obviously helps with core temperature, heart race, some muscle activation. How ever that's not enough muscle fiber recruitment, thus the isometric and even the resistance band, this allows for more muscle fiber recruitment, increasing your strength, force output, application, especially in the begining of the 400m and in particular the first 5-8 seconds which is the free zone, when ATP/CPstores haven't been depleted, so you want to be out as far in the race, as you can, to create less distance remaining as you now beging your energy distribution. So doing the things before the race to recruit more muscle fibers will benefit you in the entire race, thus aiding in dropping times.

--

February 17, 2017 at 9:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Speed - I do remember Rino from last year.   I believe he was the No. 2 sprinter slightly behind Tyron?   A very smooth performer as the videos show.   In fact, wasn't he prominent in several of your top relays the last 2 years or so?

I also have been doing some MVC work in the form of isometrics.   In both single pull OLs and squats.   Though I like the idea of you having them done on meet days as well.   After all, those events are pre-comp anyway...right?

I'm assuming you implement Be Activated prior to these lifting work units.   How much time between?   What's the recovery (days) between these sessions?

if only some middle distance coaches understood the importance on improving force production through greater speed & strength density and not simply improving performance through circulatory work?

--

February 17, 2017 at 9:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Yes W.E. about Rino, matter of fact the 55m race you did of Ty and Rino was in the finals and finished 4th in that race. Working on his start right now. Yes doing the Be Activation prior to the isometric, resistance band on meet days, I haven't started this for practice yet, will start implementing that as we get ready for indoor conference championship, which is typically the last week of March. I want to be on pace to hit strides outdoors and certainly in preparation for sectionals heading into state. I am going to reduce my work with the weights, and add more resistance band work.  I find this to truly help with placing less stress on both the CNS and muscle fatigue and as we know in both these areas, having less recovery time, I can focus on more technical, mechanic, form work, as well as other areas.

Yeah W.E. I do think so many middle/long distance coaches are missing the mark with respect to speed training, which obviously includes strength/weight training, as we know that is the ONLY reason we do strength/weight training, to increase speed. Sadly many coaches, including sprint coaches, have their athletes lifting for strength and endurance and not for speed.

--

February 17, 2017 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

So true Speed.   The most recent available highlight might've been the Fort Bend Marshall video on Milesplit.   Though that could've been you with a group very similar given weather, site facility et al, as we've discussed previously.

Why is it so difficult to explore the possibilities of something so proven, let alone scientifically validated and profoundly accepted?   One can only imagine how Geoffrey Dyson felt several decades ago.

--

February 17, 2017 at 10:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

How did it appear she did with her race model in the relays and what leg did she run? Of course not knowing what her coach has her doing in practice or the race model. I do know as W.E. indicated speed reserve, that will require strength and certainly there are things she can do meet day to help with that.

Doing isometric work right before her race will help with muscle fiber recruitment, also CNS stimulation and even doing a few shot hops helps with stored energy, stretch reflex.

She ran the third leg. We talked about it, and she ran her first 200m too slow.

So with the isometric movements...when you say "right before" the race...minutes before? The last thing before geting in the blocks? Thanks for helping me through this phase of continued learning.

--

February 18, 2017 at 11:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Blog Entries

by Speedfirst | 0 comments
Page_white_text TRY
by Speedfirst | 0 comments
by Speedfirst | 1 comment

Recent Videos

369 views - 0 comments
343 views - 0 comments
825 views - 0 comments
790 views - 2 comments

Recent Prayer Requests

• Prayers requested

I am requesting prayers for my mother, she isn?t do well right now, some liver issues, God?s will, will be done, thank y?all. Love you family!!
  • Loss Of Grandmother

My grandmother passed into Eternity on Friday, 12/02/2011. I'm requesting prayer on behalf of my family and myself. While I'm sad at my grandmother's passing, I celebrate her ...