TrackNation

Select a Forum

Forum Home > High School Track > 2017 Indoor and Outdoor season

scottmitchell74

Brianna dropped her 200 to a 27.39 and managed a 3rd place this weekend...so things are improving. Her back 100 is looking great. She's thinking about her arm drive and it shows. It's her start/first 30 meters we really, really have to work on. And we will.

Coaches - looking forward to continued updates on your programs. WE - What school district are you coaching?

--

"You there on the motorbike...sell me one of your melons!"

March 5, 2017 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

That's good news Scott.   That 400, when ready, should be a "smash" as the speed reserve and a stabilized race model continues to develops.

Scott, I'm more or less working with individual athletes than a specific school.   At present, I'm working with Cameron Donoghue, who attends Barnstable HS of the Old Colony League in Massachusetts.

Much of my prior in-school coaching experience has been on that campus.   Due to some success there, the AD and coaches allow me certain privileges!    Though that might change due to some changes in my training plans later this year.

--

March 5, 2017 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at March 5, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Brianna dropped her 200 to a 27.39 and managed a 3rd place this weekend...so things are improving. Her back 100 is looking great. She's thinking about her arm drive and it shows. It's her start/first 30 meters we really, really have to work on. And we will.

Coaches - looking forward to continued updates on your programs. WE - What school district are you coaching?

Scott, good to hear on the progress, let Brianna know because of her 400m training and running that distance, she can afford to be a little more aggressive in her start first 30m, her strength from running the 400m, shows up in the last 50 of the 200m.....so if she is thinking she will go out too hard and not have enough left, again let her know she won't, trust herself, the work/training. But also she needs to have a good race model, be consistent in that and the race model is developed in practice and executed at the meets.

--

For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain Phil. 1:21

March 5, 2017 at 3:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

We end our indoor season tonight and really this weekend, as it's championship week, we defend our two time conference title....going up against  our rivals who happens to be ranked currently #1 in the state...it's time to put up or shut up. To God be the glory!!

--

March 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Speedfirst at March 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM

We end our indoor season tonight and really this weekend, as it's championship week, we defend out two time conference title....going up against on our rivals who happens to be ranked currently #1 in the state...it's time put up or shut up. To God be the glory!!

I'm excited for you and the team to showcase tonight. No doubt they are ready and looking forward to stand tall, run with proficient stamina quality, jump high and far and sprint fast!

Have fun Coach!!

--

March 17, 2017 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E. at March 17, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Speedfirst at March 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM

We end our indoor season tonight and really this weekend, as it's championship week, we defend out two time conference title....going up against on our rivals who happens to be ranked currently #1 in the state...it's time put up or shut up. To God be the glory!!

I'm excited for you and the team to showcase tonight. No doubt they are ready and looking forward to stand tall, run with proficient stamina quality, jump high and far and sprint fast!

Have fun Coach!!

Thanks coach, I'm excited, it is going to hot and heavy, close. On the Frosh Soph level, we shall win easily. 

--

March 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Looking forward to the good news!

--

March 17, 2017 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Coach Keven:

That must've been a pretty tight meet throughout? The 3200 - .05s? Was there a photo read in that finish?

Those Fr/So sprinters are really talented. You should have fun with them in the coming seasons!

Do you guys really have two separate hurdle group races? A prelim & final @ 33" and 39"  heights for both Fr/So and Varsity. Are the distances 13/8.5m and 13.72/9.14m respectively for each assigned height well?

--

March 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E. at March 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Coach Keven:

That must've been a pretty tight meet throughout? The 3200 - .05s? Was there a photo read in that finish?

Those Fr/So sprinters are really talented. You should have fun with them in the coming seasons!

Do you guys really have two separate hurdle group races? A prelim & final @ 33" and 39"  heights for both Fr/So and Varsity. Are the distances 13/8.5m and 13.72/9.14m respectively for each assigned height well?

Yes W.E. the meet was tight throughout, we were leading going into the final event, 4x4 by 2 points and all we had to do was finish ahead of that team which we failed.

Yes my Fr/So sprinters are talented, along with a couple of more schools in the conference, so I am looking forward to the battle outdoors and putting my guys through the challenge and test in practice.

We do have separate hurdle groups for both levels at 33" and 39" with prelims and finals, however the distance of 13,72 is the same for each height.

--

March 18, 2017 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Coaches,

Brianna had her first meet since March 10th and over Spring Break we worked on many of your suggestions, and some other things I noticed Brianna needed. We did a lot of easy 200 meter tempo/striders to practice form, we practice the first half of the 400 meter for race modeling purposes and a lot of one-legged jumps and lifts and a LOT of core/abs...

It seems it paid off. Brianna ran a 61.02 to have a big PR and get her first individual Silver ever, just .06 off the win.  Her split on that 400 was 29/32 and her management was spot-on. Her mechanics still of course need work, but she broke her race down almost as well as I could have hoped for.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH for the continued advice and guidance. Truly, you're her coaches from afar. 

--

March 25, 2017 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Scott:

Glad to hear about the immediate success for Brianna from your short term work with her.   With the early SE bouts, technical work and race modeling, it appears you've also begun establishing a speed reserve quality as well.

It should certainly give you confidence to follow through with your suggestion of working with her in the fall.   No doubt you're seeing things that her coach hasn't to-date!

--

March 26, 2017 at 1:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Scott, I echo coach W.E. remarks, glad to hear about the immedaiet success for Brianna, and I like to add....success at practice/training is really what we see translated in the success at the meets. So continue with the quality work in training, I can certainly see Brianna looking at splits of low 28, low 30, as he continues to drop her times.  Truly mechanics play such a huge role in the 400m with respect to reducing times, especially outdoors as your fitness level should certainly be more advanced now.....I would suggest doing a target time for 400m, Since she ran a PR of 61.02,  I would go right now at 60.00 flat. Target time simply then would be stop the clock at 60.00 and wherever Brianna is at note that, hopefully it's at the finish or beyond!!

For me what target times help produce/create, is going out and knowing you are up against the clock and now at all a finish line, an end. Time trials, you know there is the finish and I have seen over the years, especially in the 400m, when athletes know the finish is in sight they just want to finish and get it over with and this at times results in bad mechanics, slower times.

--

March 29, 2017 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Scott, I echo coach W.E. remarks, glad to hear about the immedaiet success for Brianna, and I like to add....success at practice/training is really what we see translated in the success at the meets. So continue with the quality work in training, I can certainly see Brianna looking at splits of low 28, low 30, as he continues to drop her times. Truly mechanics play such a huge role in the 400m with respect to reducing times, especially outdoors as your fitness level should certainly be more advanced now.....I would suggest doing a target time for 400m, Since she ran a PR of 61.02, I would go right now at 60.00 flat. Target time simply then would be stop the clock at 60.00 and wherever Brianna is at note that, hopefully it's at the finish or beyond!!

For me what target times help produce/create, is going out and knowing you are up against the clock and now at all a finish line, an end. Time trials, you know there is the finish and I have seen over the years, especially in the 400m, when athletes know the finish is in sight they just want to finish and get it over with and this at times results in bad mechanics, slower times.

--

March 29, 2017 at 5:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

We got back from a small tune-up meet before District (which is the 11th and 12th @ home. Yay!)

Very please with today. Brianna is learning that she can think and sprint at the same time. Her mechanics, although with plenty of room for improvement, was much better. She was rewarded with 1st place and a new PR of 60.39. 

Afterwards she said, a bit puzzled, "It didn't feel like I was trying as hard." Lesson learned! 

Her 4x1 split was 13.02 (coach timed, but still her best) and their 4x4 dropped a very nice season's best of 4:11. All in all, very fruitful for Brianna and the team going into District. 

Gentlemen, you guys are integral. I think of you guys constantly during these meets, both when Brianna runs and when I watch other athletes. It's very much like Brianna is part of your programs as much as her own HS team. :)

--

April 1, 2017 at 8:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Scott:

I think you are very generous with the credit you dole out regarding Brianna's success. Though Speedfirst has offered an abundance of good material to work from.  I believe the largest credit in all goes to the "communication" you've established with Brianna in this sport.

I can certainly see the trust, as well as confidence you both have, from your performance reports of her.   I'm also assuming that you're having much more fun than perhaps a month or so ago!

--

April 1, 2017 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Scott, I concur with W.E.  however it is good to know that we have in any way helped with both yourself and Brianna.  I can see her time dropping to a sub 60, continue to work on and stress mechanics, keeping her hips high, running relaxed. Work on eccentric strength, for stiffness in her legs to help with ground force application, depth drops, bunny hops. With this being April, it will really now be about maintaining her fitness and increasing her speed and that will come by increasing stride rate and stride frequency/length. Doing wicket drills can help with the stride  length.

--

April 4, 2017 at 12:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

So Brianna calls me today (I'm at work) and the coach has them sprinting 100s with parachutes! Sigh...

--

April 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

scottmitchell74 at April 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM

So Brianna calls me today (I'm at work) and the coach has them sprinting 100s with parachutes! Sigh...

:(...hang in there Scott.   Before long, you'll have total control of her advancing development over an extended period in the upcoming training year.

Which might result indirectly in a positive change in their program next year.   We can hope, right?:roll:

--

April 4, 2017 at 7:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Coach Keven:

What meet did you have today?   I'll check on Athletic.net throughout the day for results if posted.

Can you briefly summarize how the team did?   No doubt with the size of your program you had several sprint relays entered.

Which of your rising stars is progressing to some top flight IL performances this spring (weather permitting, obviously)?

--

April 8, 2017 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E. at April 8, 2017 at 12:24 PM

Coach Keven:

What meet did you have today?   I'll check on Athletic.net throughout the day for results if posted.

Can you briefly summarize how the team did?   No doubt with the size of your program you had several sprint relays entered.

Which of your rising stars is progressing to some top flight IL performances this spring (weather permitting, obviously)?

Hinsdale Relays, all of the relays are entered Brandon Gage, my 400m runner should contend for a state title, my long jumper Keyon Blankenbaker. still trying to round Rino Watson into doing something in the 100m

--

April 8, 2017 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Blog Entries

by Speedfirst | 0 comments
Page_white_text TRY
by Speedfirst | 0 comments
by Speedfirst | 1 comment

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Videos

344 views - 0 comments
321 views - 0 comments
798 views - 0 comments
769 views - 2 comments

Recent Prayer Requests

• Prayers requested

I am requesting prayers for my mother, she isn?t do well right now, some liver issues, God?s will, will be done, thank y?all. Love you family!!
  • Loss Of Grandmother

My grandmother passed into Eternity on Friday, 12/02/2011. I'm requesting prayer on behalf of my family and myself. While I'm sad at my grandmother's passing, I celebrate her ...