TrackNation

Select a Forum

Forum Home > High School Track > 2017 Indoor and Outdoor season

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E. at April 8, 2017 at 12:24 PM

Coach Keven:

What meet did you have today?   I'll check on Athletic.net throughout the day for results if posted.

Can you briefly summarize how the team did?   No doubt with the size of your program you had several sprint relays entered.

Which of your rising stars is progressing to some top flight IL performances this spring (weather permitting, obviously)?

Hinsdale Relays, all of the relays are entered Brandon Gage, my 400m runner should contend for a state title, my long jumper Keyon Blankenbaker. still trying to round Rino Watson into doing something in the 100m

--

For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain Phil. 1:21

April 8, 2017 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

How did it go, Speedfirst? Looking forward to hearing all about it. 

--

"You there on the motorbike...sell me one of your melons!"

April 9, 2017 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at April 9, 2017 at 1:21 PM

How did it go, Speedfirst? Looking forward to hearing all about it. 

We won the meet, it was a windy day, so that impacted times. We won on both levels.

Swept the 3 relays on the Frosh/Soph level, 2 out of the 3 on the Varsity level, my anchor on the varsity ran this for the 1st time ever and he didn't have a mark as he said someone moved it and as such didn't get out and he has long legs so it took him awhile to get going and we finished 2nd. Since it was a relay meet, they totaled even the field events as a relay and we won the pole, high, long and triple jumps. I don't have any results to post once I get them I'll post some.

We still have work to do, this meet was a gauge for that.

--

April 9, 2017 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

We won the meet, it was a windy day, so that impacted times. We won on both levels.

Swept the 3 relays on the Frosh/Soph level, 2 out of the 3 on the Varsity level, my anchor on the varsity ran this for the 1st time ever and he didn't have a mark as he said someone moved it and as such didn't get out and he has long legs so it took him awhile to get going and we finished 2nd. Since it was a relay meet, they totaled even the field events as a relay and we won the pole, high, long and triple jumps. I don't have any results to post once I get them I'll post some.

We still have work to do, this meet was a gauge for that.

--

April 10, 2017 at 12:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Very well done! Nice to hear about the successes. When does your District/post-season begin?

--

April 10, 2017 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at April 10, 2017 at 4:05 PM

Very well done! Nice to hear about the successes. When does your District/post-season begin?

Scott out of the 14 relays contested, we won 8, finished 2nd in 3 others. Again if you add the pole, high, long, triple to the total of victories and the total amount of events held was  20, we came out on top in 12 events. Our sectionals that qualify for state is in the 3rd week of May. Below is the results from Saturday, my team is Oak Park. A

https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/MeetResults.aspx?Meet=286922

--

April 10, 2017 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

District - very uneven for Brianna. 

Did well on anchor leg of 4x1, the team had their second fastest time of the year, but hand-offs were choppy. 

In the 400 she finished 3rd by .11.  The final 100 was into a stiff wind, so I'm reasonably happy with 61.64. Her form, however, was still poor and I feel like pulling my hair out to get her to put together a good race in all facets. 

4x400 was atrocious. She split 64x and her teammates managed to pick her up and they won with a photo-finish. SO, they won, but it shouldn't even have been close. She ran 2nd, was handed a huge lead and gave it up to two girls who didn't even make the 400 final. There were tears and apologies to coach, but he handled it well and more or less said "we'll get 'em next week". 

The good news is that even with Brianna's terrible split they still ran 4:09 and that puts them way ahead of the last year at this time. 

Fellas, you must have the patience of Job because this is just one child. I don't know how you put up with the roller-coaster ride of dozens of teenagers each year!

What's great is, in 6 days she'll get a shot to fully redeem. :)

--

April 13, 2017 at 9:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Well Scott, I know how frustrating it can be. Some days like she experienced do happen - even with the highest level of elite performers. Particularly considering the concerns you've had with the broader training platform.

Though consistent feedback on the issues (e.g., angular rotation, gait, et cetera) important to you, based upon your observations, will pan out in the long run. The quality by which Brianna follows through from such info will substantiate the progress we all hope to see (or read about).

--

April 14, 2017 at 1:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Scott, from what it sounds like, Brianna had the wind in her in head after dealing with that in the open 400m, come the 4x4. Hopefully this experience she will take into her future efforts, starting next week. Keep her positive and her confidence up, one thing I constantly stress to my athletes is to visualize their success, peformance, always see stellar performances.....this helps them process and it is the first step in muscle memorization.

--

April 14, 2017 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Thanks men for the pep talk. I'll pass it along! 

--

April 14, 2017 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Coaches - let me seek your advice based on how you handle your teams. Brianna's coach dropped this bomb on her: Even though she finished 3rd at district (very close to 2nd) he wants her to drop the 400 and run in the 4x2 so that his 300h can be free of the 4x2. My thinking is that Brianna earned her right to run at the Area meet...and she has a great chance of getting to Regionals. She's upset and wants to run the 400, but she is a quiet kid and didn't know how to respond to the coach today.

I've encouraged her to strongly express to her coach that she's trained very hard for the 400...and that she'd like to continue on that path.

This is a new one for me, so I'm at a loss as to what to do. Do I step in? Do I leave this between coach/athlete? What's ettiquette/protocol. She's upset and sad, I'm upset...so...that's where we're at. 

--

April 17, 2017 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Well Scott, there hasn't been much where I've agreed with what you've reported concerning Brianna's coach.   In fact, I would've sought out alternatives awhile ago.   This action, to me, also reflects the lack of confidence this coach has in his training system as well.

I privately coached an athlete, where his high school coach assigned him to relay duties at the division championships, though he had qualified for an individual event.   Two years in a row, I might add!   Of course, it wasn't long after before his coach saw the light!

My response in this situation would be to generate and submit a letter to the coach slightly detailing what was reported to you and reminding him of her goals for the season.   Denying the opportunity to follow through in an attempt to reach those goals might give several doubts to the program, as well as the coach"s ability to raise Brianna's performances.

Of course, at the end of the day, it's his program.   And as I mentioned, I've seen this happen before.   This athlete went along with this decision - though had a fall back plan that eventually propelled him to success beyond what "others" thought of him.

--

April 17, 2017 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Scott, I would certainly as parent envoke my parental role if need be. First I would have Brianna respectfully speak with the coach and express her desire to run the 400 and why. If the coach pushes back to Brianna, certainly you should step in.

--

April 18, 2017 at 2:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Gentlemen...thanks for the advice. All new ground for me. Never, ever in almost 17 years of parenting have I felt compelled to step in with a teacher, coach, instructor...but this is a new one for me. Brianna has initiated contact with him and well speak with him today. I'll base my next move on that conversation. I'm hoping I won't have to. 

--

April 18, 2017 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Well, Brianna spoke with her coach and he relented, allowing her to do the 400.

She said he didn't seem happy about it, but I was proud of her for speaking up. She's very quiet and shy and respects authority figures, so this was hard for her. 

He did take the chance then to call her out on her sub-par relay legs of late, which I agree with. SO, I told her...now it's time to produce!!

Tomorrow is the Area meet...stay tuned. :)

--

April 18, 2017 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at April 18, 2017 at 6:39 PM

She said he didn't seem happy about it, but I was proud of her for speaking up. She's very quiet and shy and respects authority figures, so this was hard for her. 

He did take the chance then to call her out on her sub-par relay legs of late, which I agree with. SO, I told her...now it's time to produce!!

Scott- great to hear that and certainly the qualities that your daughter displays, simply shows the fine job you and your wife have done and continue to do raising Brianna to respect others and in particular adults.

Continue to reinforce, encourage Brianna to be positive, let her know she has put in the work, the meets are simply to execute, relax, run fast, have fun, no pressure. Much success to Brianna and her team!! :)

--

April 19, 2017 at 11:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Thanks Speedfirst. The wife and I will be heading out soon. The Track events start at 5:00. Good conditions today. In the 80s with not too much wind. 

--

April 19, 2017 at 1:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Speedfirst at April 19, 2017 at 11:48 AM

scottmitchell74 at April 18, 2017 at 6:39 PM

Scott- great to hear that and certainly the qualities that your daughter displays, simply shows the fine job you and your wife have done and continue to do raising Brianna to respect others and in particular adults.

Continue to reinforce, encourage Brianna to be positive, let her know she has put in the work, the meets are simply to execute, relax, run fast, have fun, no pressure. Much success to Brianna and her team!! :)

59.77:D. Hello!

--

April 19, 2017 at 11:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

You beat me to it. :D  So happy! I met her half way through her cool-down jog and as soon as she saw me she broke down...sobs of joy.  Her coach said it's the first time he can remember the top 4 all breaking 60, so it was a tough field. Brianna's race model was really on, and her form was much improved. She said it didn't feel that hard and I had to tell her "duh, when you do things right that's how it'll feel" so maybe the lesson sunk in just a little bit more. 

Guys...I know you'll deflect...but once again I want to thank you and Speedfirst. You guys have really helped me and Brianna  learn how to be 400 meter sprinters. Without your help and talking me through stuff I don't think Brianna would be as far along. She's a willing worker, but you guys have meant so much. 

Some young man- beast from Witchita Falls Hirshi ran a 10.31, so that was a major highlight of the day. I can see him winning State. 

Look forward to the next report from your sprinters/teams. 

So, off to Regionals on the 28th. The 4x1 just missed, but the 4x4 moved on. They got stomped by a loaded team who ran a 3:57, but the girls' 4:06 was a good step. 

--

April 20, 2017 at 12:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

I can't say enough about the job you've done for Brianna in this sport. So much is overlooked with these type of performances.   In addition, Speedfirst's words of wisdom, as well as the technical knowledge he imparts, can't be undersold as well.

I wish the best of success going forward for Brianna and her team.   Enjoy the journey!

--

April 20, 2017 at 12:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Blog Entries

by Speedfirst | 0 comments
Page_white_text TRY
by Speedfirst | 0 comments
by Speedfirst | 1 comment

Recent Videos

369 views - 0 comments
343 views - 0 comments
825 views - 0 comments
790 views - 2 comments

Recent Prayer Requests

• Prayers requested

I am requesting prayers for my mother, she isn?t do well right now, some liver issues, God?s will, will be done, thank y?all. Love you family!!
  • Loss Of Grandmother

My grandmother passed into Eternity on Friday, 12/02/2011. I'm requesting prayer on behalf of my family and myself. While I'm sad at my grandmother's passing, I celebrate her ...