TrackNation

Select a Forum

Forum Home > High School Track > 2017 Indoor and Outdoor season

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Excellent on that PB of 59.77 and more to come, kudos to Brianna and the team with their success!!

Scott it is certainly good to hear how much Brianna has progressed based on her putting in the work, all of the work and encouragement you have provided Scott. If I have aided her in anyway,  thank you for allowing that. Again much success to the team as they go forward.

My team had a big invite this past weekend, the defending state champion was there, 15  team invite, we on the meet by over 30 points on the varsity level and really should've won on the lower level, we didn't get much of anything from our middle/long distance on that level, had we, we win, as it was it was close 3rd place.

We have another big invite tomorrow night.

--

For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain Phil. 1:21

April 20, 2017 at 10:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

You do more than one meet a week? Or do you do some kind of split-squad.

--

"You there on the motorbike...sell me one of your melons!"

April 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at April 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM

You do more than one meet a week? Or do you do some kind of split-squad.

We actually did a meet this past Saturday, a meet this past Tuesday and again a meet on tomorrow night. So that will be 3 meets in 6 days. 

I don't split squads, the meet on Tuesday was a quad, so really a glorified practice meet, some of my guys didn't compete.

--

April 20, 2017 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Ah, okay. I wonder if the population density allows for this. Are you in an area with a lot of schools close together?  

In West Texas the schools are so far apart that meets are a huge affair with lots of traveling and thus they don't schedule as many.

--

April 20, 2017 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at April 20, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Ah, okay. I wonder if the population density allows for this. Are you in an area with a lot of schools close together?  

In West Texas the schools are so far apart that meets are a huge affair with lots of traveling and thus they don't schedule as many.

Yes Scott we are close together school wise, but we also travel, not too far however. Next week I have a meet on Wednesday and again Saturday, with the Saturday meet being the big invite meet and Wednesday again the glorified practice meet.

--

April 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Well, bitter-sweet. The season comes to an end.

Brianna ended up 4th in the finals. I was quite pleased with that placement. She qualified 6th and moved up a couple places. I was very happy with her effort. Times were slow across the board. It was freezing cold! 45 degrees, raining, windy. Coldest meet of the entire season...on April 29th!  Missing State by two spots will be a great platform to build on for next year. Now for the bitter...

4x4 Prelims...DQed!!! Wylie was leading their heat with about 50 meters to go. They were right on pace for a 4:04/4:05. They would have qualified either 2nd or 3rd. A great, great chance for State. However, the anchor girl felt the girl behind her trying to pass, so instead of simply trying to answer and beat her to the line...she swerved in front of her to block her. When the other girl tried to swerve back, our Wylie girl blocked her again. Easy for the entire Stadium and every official to see what happened. DQ - interference. 

That was hard to watch. And then after the initial "what was she thinking?" and frustration as "what could have been" there was heartbreak for the young lady who spent the next hour sobbing realizing what she'd done.

We think she just panicked for some reason. Maybe she forgot that it was prelims and qualifiy a very close 3rd by 1/10 of a second is not much different than qualifying 2nd? I don't know. We'll never know. The hardest part is knowing the results the next day. Times were much slower due (I guess) to the weather, but Wylie would have certainly been in the mix.

Brianna and I are very excited for next season already, though. I'll give her 9 days to completely relax, recover, before we start rebuilding the foundation.

Thanks again for all of your advice throughout the year(s). I'll keep you updated periodically withi what we're doing this Summer/Fall and Brianna's progress. 

--

April 30, 2017 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Thanks for always keeping us in the loop Scott on Brianna and her team and yes it does appear to be bitter-sweet. Certainly even in the spring, we're at the mercy of the weather, we had a big invite cancelled on this past Saturday. What are your plans for training after the 9 day hiatus? :)

--

May 1, 2017 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Speed - After watching/training Brianna for three years now she shows to be either a 200/400 or even a 400/800 energy system athlete. However, the 400 does seem to be her sweet spot. That said, the goal for the next nine months with be Speed! (Duh!?). Based on her early season 27.39 and her late season 400 results I'm fairly certain Brianna can run somewhere in the 26x area. I'd like to get her in the 25x, preferably 25-low. 

Brianna's weakness is her start. Literally her start, and then her first 50-70 meters. It's always after everyone is off the curve in the 200 where Brianna matches the faster girls' speed, but they get to top speed quicker. She's losing, I'd say, a full second at least in the first 100 meters. 

Lots of one-legged lifts, which we only introduced this March, one-legged hopping/bounding (now that she's strong enough), front squats, lunges, lots of throws and slams. I've purchased a dozen banana hurdles to begin wicket drills. 

Because of my FF schedule, we always work in units of 3 days. So I'd like to time her in the 300 every 12-15 days, to keep her goal-oriented there. Lots of 30-50 meter starts on the curve. Every 9-12 days 200 meter repeats at 35-37 seconds with walking 200m rest to really  practice arm and head/posture awareness and sometime in the 9-12 day cycle have a day where she does three 200s as if they were the 1st half of the 400 to get her race model down. If she can get good at nailing a time mark in that first 200 (say, 27.5 or whatever) then there's a lot of confidence building.

Bear crawls on the indoor field with 25# plates will also be in heavy rotation. I like those because they are so hard that it reminds her of how to push through pain, and it keeps her low, low and gets those starting muscles moving.

As always, I'm sure I'll be leaning on you and WE for advice. I really can't wait to get started! 

--

May 1, 2017 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Scott, Coach Keven - no doubt we all will be busy again this summer.  I've got a few T&F specific athletes lined up, as well as some 40-yard dash timing chores for the fall sports teams.

I'll more likely re-open up the Summer Specific Training thread to keep you gentlemen abreast of things.   New faces, new issues!

--

May 1, 2017 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Thanks Scott, for the starts consider improving the stride rate using resistance, sleds, resistance band, hills, resistance bands on the hill.

For her stride frequency, when she is a maxV, downhill assistance training, if you have any tubing and you can be on a bike pulling her this will help with assistance training, stride frequency. If she is doing ANY type of crunch work for core, stop that, this inhibits her knee lift, tightens the rib cage area, psoas area, causes losing range of motion in that region. PLANKS, PLANKS, PLANKS,

For my summer football, summer track club, and speed camp, so Lord willing it will be a very busy one.  

W.E., coach good  to see you will be busy as well. :)

--

May 1, 2017 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

WE, Speedfirst - looking forward to all of the updates.

Speed - would you believe, Brianna's coach has them doing crunches almost exclusively for core. Well, well, well, as my wife would say.

Thanks for the continued guidance. I'll be sure to implement those things you mention. 

--

May 1, 2017 at 10:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Scott, you may have seen the topic under training here Be Activated, the video below speaks to this, I will send you more, but this is a game changer. The muscles have to fire in the right sequence and unfortunately many, many athletes don't fire in the right sequence and as a result leaving money on the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASni9FGhm78

--

May 2, 2017 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

We won another invite on last night, trying to tune up for conference next week, have our JV and Freshman conference today, this morning.

--

May 6, 2017 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Speedfirst at May 6, 2017 at 7:50 AM

We won another invite on last night, trying to tune up for conference next week, have our JV and Freshman conference today, this morning.

Looks as if you had a good day at this Inv.   The jumpers (LJ & PV) particularly so.   Rino and Brandon appear consistent as well.

Haing fun Coach?

I

--

May 6, 2017 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

I did a different lineup for the 4x1, we had a 10m lead at anchor and my anchor got hawked, he is off the relay, also a different lineup for the 4x2 and three exchanges left too soon, that relay will change for upcoming conference and sectionals. We did have a very good day at this meet, 11 place first place victories, should've been 12 as my Frosh/Soph 4x2 did win, somehow they gave us second place. My long jumper the indoor conference champ, has been dealing with a foot issue on his takeoff foot all outdoor season and he is finally healthy, yet hasn't done much of anything in practice, he is a potential 23 plus long jumper, he jumped 22'3" indoors and actually jumped 23' in practice.

Brandon could've and should've taken his first 200m out more aggressively, taken control of the race, he ran behind the winner the entire race, had he ran more aggressively he runs faster and wins this,  so I talked with him about this right after the race. I was proud of the 4x4, dropped 2 seconds off our time coming into the meet, I have a freshman on anchor. Rino will be faster in his 100m, he had a toe injury the day before the meet and really didn't put alot of work in practice on his race model.

--

May 6, 2017 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Coach Keven:

Weather and subsequent poor facility conditions for many in my area have found it difficult to establish event rhythm consistency this season.   I doubt that it has been much different for you as well.

However, I'm certain that your guys are learning from each training and comp event session.   And as you mentioned in prior threads, relay mechanics can't be taken for granted.

Sounds like that 4x4 is ready to drop a big time relatively soon!   And those Fr/So quartets look good as well.

Good work Coach!!

--

May 6, 2017 at 4:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Nice report. How many more meets before post-season? 

--

May 6, 2017 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Scott, we have conference next Friday night, the following week sectionals, then our state meet, so it is championship season now.

Coach W.E., weather hasn't been too bad, just one meet cancelled, I have some specific training, fine tuning to accomplish now that the roster will be reduced due to the championship season.  I am looking forward to the upcoming championship season, again to implement somethings that will improve our performance going forward.

--

May 6, 2017 at 11:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Just a little more humor. Brianna's coach told her that he wants her to run CC!! :lol:

I got a chuckle out of that. 

--

May 11, 2017 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

scottmitchell74 at May 11, 2017 at 6:39 PM

Just a little more humor. Brianna's coach told her that he wants her to run CC!! :lol:

I got a chuckle out of that. 

I guess the assessment from this past season isn't quite complete yet for him!

--

May 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Blog Entries

by Speedfirst | 0 comments
Page_white_text TRY
by Speedfirst | 0 comments
by Speedfirst | 1 comment

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Videos

344 views - 0 comments
321 views - 0 comments
798 views - 0 comments
769 views - 2 comments

Recent Prayer Requests

• Prayers requested

I am requesting prayers for my mother, she isn?t do well right now, some liver issues, God?s will, will be done, thank y?all. Love you family!!
  • Loss Of Grandmother

My grandmother passed into Eternity on Friday, 12/02/2011. I'm requesting prayer on behalf of my family and myself. While I'm sad at my grandmother's passing, I celebrate her ...