TrackNation

Select a Forum

Forum Home > Training, Nutrition > Are We Seeing a New Generation of Speed Event Athlete?

W.E.

Some of the things that I see today, along with the works from material translated from science, seem very different from as little as a decade ago.   Of course, much of it is gathered in this very section!

What we know and what we can do are so much in alignment these days.   In my opinion, a lot can be credited to those individual that were/are willing to share and those that can't keep a secret! There's another word for the latter!

I'm truly shaking my head at those accomplishments I'm witnessing these days.    As well as those orchestrating such feats.   T&F is fully alive and well!   And this year, without an Oly or Worlds!

--

March 31, 2018 at 12:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

I think you're right W.E. - every time a MJ or a Bolt retires, there's hand-wringing and doom and gloom. T&F will continue to march along, and get better and better. It's exciting!

--

"You there on the motorbike...sell me one of your melons!"

March 31, 2018 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

scottmitchell74 at March 31, 2018 at 9:51 AM

I think you're right W.E. - every time a MJ or a Bolt retires, there's hand-wringing and doom and gloom. T&F will continue to march along, and get better and better. It's exciting!

So true Scott.   T&F continues to thrive in America.   Particularly in youth and scholastic track events.   Softly spoken, your daughter is a prime example as well.  Watch how excited we'll all be when she drops her PR and Abilene Wylie lowers their 4x4 best.

--

March 31, 2018 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

In looking at the recent indoor NCAA D1 results, the sport is alive and well. As Carl Lewis indicated in a reason interview, one person isn't larger than the sport and he was referring to Usain. As we know, Carl if anyone can attest to that, he at the height of his career, was the Bolt of his day and the sport survived.

--

For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain Phil. 1:21

April 1, 2018 at 8:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Gentlemen - I'm impressed with the progress these days with athletes that have above standard contact lengths and demonstrate low contact times.   Gardiner and McLaughlin immediately come to mind of recent note.

Of course Bolt was an outlier.   Particularly where short speed is concerned.   And we can't forget Gatlin's efficient use of his genetic gifts as well and how he applied them.   However, this latest group is certainly benefiting from some serious GRF produced work!

--

April 10, 2018 at 9:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

The NCAA champs have shown that there is no lack of speed in the present or immediate future. 

--

June 13, 2018 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

scottmitchell74 at June 13, 2018 at 10:21 AM

The NCAA champs have shown that there is no lack of speed in the present or immediate future. 

Coaching, in many ways, have improved as well.   There is an abundance of sharing technical info that doesn't require an advanced biochemistry and/or biometric background.   Speed can certainly address the work that Holler and Korfist have been doing with Dr. Clark recently, for example.

The elite ones are broadening their scope of study by doing relative investigative work to validate training protocols, as well as, lecturing at various coaching schools and clinics.   All for the better, IMHO.

--

June 16, 2018 at 4:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Coach, you're so, so right. In fact, I almost teared-up in Brianna's meeting with her college coach to-be. He started showing her lifting and running form and drills. He got really animated and was clearly very excited and knowledgeable about the science of creating a faster sprinter. 

So, yes, very astute observation! The coaching is really helping these athletes along. I should know, I have access to two great ones right here! :D

--

June 16, 2018 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E. I concur with the sharing, certainly the internet, Youtube, social media, forums like this and others, have made it possible to network, share, go viral, it's made a huge difference in how things were, prior to this and yes, for the better.

--

For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain Phil. 1:21

June 16, 2018 at 8:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

However, it's unfortunate that there are still area site coaches that aren't taking advantage of the "open book"' so to speak.   Brianna is one example of a parent's love and devotion to see potential realized.  I, like you Scott and Speedfirst, can't wait to see the possibilities on the other side!

And thank you gentlemen, for the inspiration to go further with sport-related knowledge acquisition.   It's the issues that were shared on this website that helped in many ways with athletes I worked with the last several years.

June 18, 2018 at 2:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Blog Entries

by Speedfirst | 0 comments
Page_white_text TRY
by Speedfirst | 0 comments
by Speedfirst | 1 comment

Recent Videos

556 views - 0 comments
490 views - 0 comments
1001 views - 0 comments
933 views - 2 comments

Recent Prayer Requests

• Prayers requested

I am requesting prayers for my mother, she isn?t do well right now, some liver issues, God?s will, will be done, thank y?all. Love you family!!
  • Loss Of Grandmother

My grandmother passed into Eternity on Friday, 12/02/2011. I'm requesting prayer on behalf of my family and myself. While I'm sad at my grandmother's passing, I celebrate her ...