TrackNation

Select a Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Dropping by for a quick hello!

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Scott, thanks for the feedback, you mentioned PR and skipping 59 going to 58, sure that can happen.  Have you done a target time in the 400 and 200m for her? For example 58.5,, you stop the clock whenever the time hit's 58.5, she where she is on the track.  Now from there you can make adjustments in your race model, meaning in the beginning, go out more agressively, in the beginning, 1st 80 meters is where you have the most energy and have to take advantage of that....you want to be further out in the race, with less race to cover. So the next time you do the target time, she should be closer to the finish, keep focusing on the beginning. That same applies to the 200m,  let's say 26.5 is your time or even faster.

Does Brianna visualize? Have her visualize her race, especially the first 80m, see herself moving, getting out, visualization is the first step in muscle memorization What visualization does as well, is you know you are running this over in your mind, you see it, you embrace it, it helps remove doubt, builds confidence, breeds success.

Doing fly's and doing the target time 200's, will accomplish your short sprints in practice.

--

For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain Phil. 1:21

April 11, 2018 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Thanks, as always, Speed. Great stuff. 

--

"You there on the motorbike...sell me one of your melons!"

April 11, 2018 at 4:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Area Meet:

Brianna took silver in the 400, improving on last year's 4th place. On to Regionals.

4x4 team took Gold with a 4:03.59...Brianna ran her best relay leg ever, managing to run down the same girl who beat her in the open 400.

The Regional Meet is in Lubbock, Tx April 27,28. 

--

April 19, 2018 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

scottmitchell74 at April 19, 2018 at 3:55 PM

Area Meet:

Brianna took silver in the 400, improving on last year's 4th place. On to Regionals.

4x4 team took Gold with a 4:03.59...Brianna ran her best relay leg ever, managing to run down the same girl who beat her in the open 400.

Good work Scott.  And becoming "The Relayist" to boot!

--

April 19, 2018 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at April 19, 2018 at 3:55 PM

Area Meet:

Great to hear that, on both fronts!!! What was Brianna's time in that 400m? How did she look, how is the training coming??  

Here is one more workout I like to share, Full out 300m, rest 1 minute and at the end of the 300m mark, then do a 100m...the focus for both distance is staying tall, running relaxed, holding form,  now in particular for the 100m, really focus on knee lift,  back side leg action: explode off the ground, push the ground away, front side leg action  knee lift, drive knee downward, punching the ground with the lower legs, as if you are shattering glass, good arm action, hammer back, snap down and back with the arms. Have a clock on both distances, this will see where she is and of course do it in spikes.

Do this workout 3 times, with a full recovery after each set.  Continued success to Brianna and her team!!

--

April 21, 2018 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Speed,

Having asked Brianna about Friday's workout at school...they did something very similar. 300's, and then with a brief rest...a 60...so in that same realm. I'm not there to see her form, but it is getting better. 

Brianna's time was a 60.51. Not was we were hoping for, but heavy W. Texas wind killed times. Nobody pr'd or even season-best (or even came close, really) in any of the races from 400 and beyond. Just life in W. Texas. Lubbock could be just as bad, so her best bet is to just finish in top-two. :) Easier said, than done, but that's what she faces. 

Her race management and effort looked great, however, and I'm happy with her training. She's kicked things into an extra gear of late and even her physique/body is looking different/leaner. 

--

April 21, 2018 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at April 21, 2018 at 2:58 PM

Speed,

Having asked Brianna about Friday's workout at school...they did something very similar. 300's, and then with a brief rest...a 60...so in that same realm. I'm not there to see her form, but it is getting better. 

Brianna's time was a 60.51. Not was we were hoping for, but heavy W. Texas wind killed times. Nobody pr'd or even season-best (or even came close, really) in any of the races from 400 and beyond. Just life in W. Texas. Lubbock could be just as bad, so her best bet is to just finish in top-two. :) Easier said, than done, but that's what she faces. 

Her race management and effort looked great, however, and I'm happy with her training. She's kicked things into an extra gear of late and even her physique/body is looking different/leaner. 

Encouraging Scott, to say the least....keep her positive, nothing negative, no distractions, which I'm sure you'll handle that!!

--

April 24, 2018 at 2:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Coaches,

Prelims in Lubbock...Brianna run a big 59.33 pr! Finally got some confirmation for her hard work. Finished 2nd in heat, qualified 4th overall. Getting to State will be a tall order, because girls ahead are VERY talented, but there's nothing to lose as this point.

4x4 qualified 3rd with a 4:02.98...so they are in a decent spot as well.

Will update more tomorrow.

Coaches...again...this is so much a testament to you guys funneling such sound track advice through me to Brianna. Much love!

--

April 27, 2018 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

scottmitchell74 at April 27, 2018 at 8:05 PM

Coaches,

Prelims in Lubbock...Brianna run a big 59.33 pr! Finally got some confirmation for her hard work. Finished 2nd in heat, qualified 4th overall. Getting to State will be a tall order, because girls ahead are VERY talented, but there's nothing to lose as this point.

4x4 qualified 3rd with a 4:02.98...so they are in a decent spot as well.

Will update more tomorrow.

Coaches...again...this is so much a testament to you guys funneling such sound track advice through me to Brianna. Much love!

Really glad, as well as, somewhat excited for the success you both are achieving.   Brianna, obviously for the performance she "put down", and determination to get it done!

And to you Scott, for dissecting and properly implementing the info received.   I know Speedfirst must be as content.

All the best going forward.

--

April 28, 2018 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Fellas,

Brianna's individual HS career has come to an end. She fell back to a disappointing 60.01 in the final. She started excellently the first 150-200,  but in the 200-300m curve let off the gas too much (for reasons she couldn't seem to explain), and never regained. 

However, there was redemption in the 4x4. The team took Silver and is headed to Austin. I'm excited for the girls. 

While I always thought Brianna could run about 1.0 to 1.5 seconds faster in the 400, I'm still proud of her. I know how hard she worked, and I know how tricky and brutal the 400 is. A 59.3 is still a time not many runners achieve. 

The State meet is May 12th. I'll keep things posted. 

--

April 28, 2018 at 9:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at April 28, 2018 at 9:45 PM

Fellas,

Brianna's individual HS career has come to an end. She fell back to a disappointing 60.01 in the final. She started excellently the first 150-200,  but in the 200-300m curve let off the gas too much (for reasons she couldn't seem to explain), and never regained. 

However, there was redemption in the 4x4. The team took Silver and is headed to Austin. I'm excited for the girls. 

While I always thought Brianna could run about 1.0 to 1.5 seconds faster in the 400, I'm still proud of her. I know how hard she worked, and I know how tricky and brutal the 400 is. A 59.3 is still a time not many runners achieve. 

The State meet is May 12th. I'll keep things posted. 

Dad/coach, I applaud you, your love, desire, passion, Brianna certainly made some very good progress and much love and success in all her future endeavors!!

--

May 18, 2018 at 10:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

scottmitchell74

Speed - Good to see you around again. I was getting worried!

Brianna met with Abilene Christian University's head track & field coach today and he invited her to walk-on. She's very excited that she gets to continue her career. He's a very nice/friendly and God-Fearing man!! that believes in taking care of his women athletes, so momma and I are very happy with this arrangement.

He's interested in seeing if she might be a 800 meter runner, but said he wouldn't push her  to switch from the 400. He's very big trying things out though, and wants to determine if she's more suited for the 400 or the 800. He seems incredibly knowledgable and up-to-date (I felt like we were talking to you and WE!!). He was very up-front with what he expects from her. I'm excited to see what she can do with a dedicated D-1 coaching staff. 

--

May 18, 2018 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Scott:

I'm quite happy to hear that Brianna will have an opportunity to continue her athletics pursuits.   And particularly with remaining literally at home as well.

Realizing, in comparison, she started out later than most T&F athletes going to the next level.   Something tells me she will expand her abilities and have fun as well.

You've done an outstanding job...though we expect it was truly a labor of lover!   The fandom here will continue!

--

May 19, 2018 at 11:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

scottmitchell74 at May 18, 2018 at 6:48 PM

Speed - Good to see you around again. I was getting worried!

Brianna met with Abilene Christian University's head track & field coach today and he invited her to walk-on. She's very excited that she gets to continue her career. He's a very nice/friendly and God-Fearing man!! that believes in taking care of his women athletes, so momma and I are very happy with this arrangement.

He's interested in seeing if she might be a 800 meter runner, but said he wouldn't push her  to switch from the 400. He's very big trying things out though, and wants to determine if she's more suited for the 400 or the 800. He seems incredibly knowledgable and up-to-date (I felt like we were talking to you and WE!!). He was very up-front with what he expects from her. I'm excited to see what she can do with a dedicated D-1 coaching staff. 

Great news and I have no doubt Brianna will make the team and be a contributor to it as well!!

--

May 20, 2018 at 9:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.