TrackNation

Select a Forum

Forum Home > High School Track > 2019-2020 Season

Speedfirst
Site Owner

We start our training as a team today, which is typical for us, the Monday after Thanksgiving.  A few have done work since June. My focus, will be focus and quality, truly focusing on sprint mechanics, the execution of the technique and mechanics. Really trying to build,construct, create, perfection, flawlessness. Working effectively, smart, clear and concise, really trying to prevent taking any steps backwards knowing this will impede progress and may in fact cause set backs. So really this year for me, will be more intense, to help ensure we can reduce and even eliminate flaws.  If God be for you, who can be against you!!

--

For me to live is Christ, but to die is gain Phil. 1:21

December 2, 2019 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

I like your approach and look forward to reading about your success as well.

I have a great appreciation for the way that speed and power is portrayed these days and the manner in which many coaches, like you for example, are exercising that path.

--

December 8, 2019 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E. at December 8, 2019 at 9:02 PM

I like your approach and look forward to reading about your success as well.

I have a great appreciation for the way that speed and power is portrayed these days and the manner in which many coaches, like you for example, are exercising that path.

Thanks coach as you know I value your words, voice, I shared this right here with a group that includes coaches and athletes from around the country and world.

What and how we do drills coaches, will and does establish habits, good, bad or otherwise and as such, effects outcome/performance.

I added this comment ...."For me I can ONLY trust my eyes, my sight, even other coaches and athletes I have coached, instructed to be a mini me, I can't and don't trust their vision. Real simple, I don't know what they see, what they're looking for, their perspective and that's fine. But I know what I want, what I expect and when it's not being met"

I certainly don't feel as if I cannot and do not learn from others, because I do, and I know I am not  above reproach, or dogmatic in my philosophy, methodology.

--

December 9, 2019 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Well stated and expressed.   I could also see a few points from the 3rd paragraph above being added to "Tips Of The Week."

Going forward though, what concerns do you have with your team, as well as, your star elite athletes?   In addition, what is your approach to load management during each competitive season?   Has stress overload been an issue with your athletes in recent seasons?

--

December 10, 2019 at 1:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E. at December 10, 2019 at 1:22 PM

Well stated and expressed.   I could also see a few points from the 3rd paragraph above being added to "Tips Of The Week."

Going forward though, what concerns do you have with your team, as well as, your star elite athletes?   In addition, what is your approach to load management during each competitive season?   Has stress overload been an issue with your athletes in recent seasons?

My #1 one concern is always lack of focus,  misplaced priorities,  nutrition, hydration (water intake). For my star athletes, what I just stated and not becoming complacent, satisfied. I told the group yesterday, as we were finishing a ladder, 240, 200, 160, 80, we were on the 2nd and last 240, I told them when you scale that mountain and you look around and you see a higher mountain, that has now become our  next goal, the higher mountain.

Regarding load management, I'm not as concerned with, with the exception of my jumpers who may need to be a part of any open running event and/or relay.  Because my approach to and preparation for the season has changed to be more focused on quality, sprint mechanics, technique, I am really able to kill two birds with one stone, in that I get that fitness/conditioning in without feeling I will compromise anything and certainly not load management as an issue.

Stress overload has been more on an individual bases, as that is due in part to those athletes beating themselves up. They over think often, because I am a stickler of being sound mechnically and emphasize being flawless, maybe they feel the need or pressure to execute my desires. But I am always talking to them about visualization to help them see it before the execute. So I would say by and large, stress overload as a whole (team)  hasn't been an issue.   Appreciate those questions, hope I was able to answer them.

--

December 10, 2019 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Thanks Coach.   Aside from review of performance videos, what other visual aids do you use?   And how often?

--

January 13, 2020 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

Well I will put this in this section. We ended our 2021 abbreviated season, started in April, outdoor only and ended the season at state, June 17th.

4x100 2nd place, 4x200, 4th place, 100m 4th place, 200m, 8th place. My top sprinter, the week before at the meet to qualify for state, tweaked his hamstring last stride in the 100m, running into a pretty stiff headwind, he won. Pulled him from the 4x200 and 200m. He didn't do any running the week leading into state, other than, some handoffs to see how he looked. Scratched him in the 100m at state, he was never 100%, it showed in the 4x200, we were in 1st when he got the stick at anchor and just didn't have it.

My #2 sprinter, ran the fastest legal time of the meet in the 100m 10.66 with a 1.2 tail wind, in heat #1, 2 more heats to follow. The final heat, all ran with a 3.5 tail wind. 10.61 and a couple of 10.63 came out of that heat. Only reason my #2 100m was in the 1st heat, again running in the head wind at sectionals, so his time was slower and he ended up in that heat, obviously he should not have been. Proud of the kids, in an abbreviated season, still produced some quality times and results!!

--

July 6, 2021 at 6:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Ahh...I've been there before (untimely interruptions), as I'm sure many have also!

However, I'm not surprised that you had the success that you experienced this season.   Obviously, expert training vision+good plan+solid implementation=Great coaching...You!

What's in store for the summer?

--

July 6, 2021 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E. at July 6, 2021 at 7:30 PM

Ahh...I've been there before (untimely interruptions), as I'm sure many have also!

However, I'm not surprised that you had the success that you experienced this season.   Obviously, expert training vision+good plan+solid implementation=Great coaching...You!

What's in store for the summer?

Thank you coach.....extremely busy this summer, doing 3 youth camps, freshman football, a few individual sessions and of course my speed camp with my guys are always hold, matter of fact, one of the runners on my 4x1 and 4x2 this past season was a freshman, did the speed camp last summer, was impressed by him, he put the work in and earned it, he was my 3rd leg, the other 3, were seniors, which of course were my #1 and #2 100m and my 8th place all state 200m runner, leadoff leg.  

The video below is my freshman last summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElT4v5BpPCA

--

July 6, 2021 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W.E.

Was the video recorded using a smartphone?   Android or Apple?

Would like to get some speed measurements from the clip.

- Athlete's height, weight, shoe size

- Session Distance, Cones

He was really putting it down!!

--

July 7, 2021 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Speedfirst
Site Owner

W.E. at July 7, 2021 at 2:37 PM

Was the video recorded using a smartphone?   Android or Apple?

Would like to get some speed measurements from the clip.

- Athlete's height, weight, shoe size

- Session Distance, Cones

He was really putting it down!!

Android....distance about 70 meters. Ht. 5'7"....Wt. 140 lbs....shoe size 9.5... did some flying 20's on Monday with him, he ran a 1.64, yards. My top sprinter the 10.66 off to college in August 1.56,  one more  sprinter, incoming junior at 1.69 a couple more in the 1.78 range...Did sprint/float/sprint....float/sprint/float work on yesterday.  There are 4 different size cones, 1st set of cones, mini cones, next set 4 inch cones, next set 9 1/2 inch and the last set 14 inch. Purpose is to increase knee lift, at each height to help increase, sustain, maintain speed, reduce ground contact, brake less.  Speaking of putting it down, he ran faster, this was probably his 1st one.

Below is from state, my sprinter in the 100m, orange arm sleeve, let me know if you can't view the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBa50ctVWkQ&t=180s

--

July 8, 2021 at 1:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

956 views - 0 comments
1443 views - 0 comments
1290 views - 2 comments
1112 views - 2 comments

Recent Prayer Requests

• YOU NEED QUALITY VISITORS FOR YOUR: webs.com WE PROVIDE ORGANIC VISITORS BY KEYWORD FROM SEARCH ENGINES OR SOCIAL MEDIA YOU GET HIGH-QUALITY VISITORS - visitors from...
  • Prayers requested

I am requesting prayers for my mother, she isn?t do well right now, some liver issues, God?s will, will be done, thank y?all. Love you family!!